Skip to main content

AT&T makes good on its promise to the FCC, expands broadband coverage in Georgia

In 2011, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission unveiled the Connect America Fund, a plan that overhauled the $8 billion federal budget set aside for rural and low-income phone customers. AT&T was among the internet providers that agreed to expand coverage area in exchange for funding and made good on its promise this week.

On Tuesday, AT&T said that it had completed an initial network rollout in Georgia. Residents are guaranteed speeds of “at least” 10Mbps downstream and 1Mbps upstream on a one-year, $60 per month LTE plan, and DirecTV and smartphone plan subscribers get a $10-a-month discount.

Recommended Videos

“AT&T’s Fixed Wireless Internet service is a great example of the innovative thinking necessary to bring high-speed internet to rural and under-served communities,” Betsy Huber, president of the National Grange, said in a statement. “When you consider that farmers, ranchers, and other rural residents are also small business owners, the need for high-speed internet becomes obvious. This is a milestone for communications services for rural and small-town America.”

AT&T’s expansion is a step in the right direction, but it is not perfect. The service’s speed falls below the 25Mbps/3Mbps threshold that the FCC currently defines as broadband, and usage is capped at 160GB — overage fees start at $10 for every 50GB of data past the limit, up to a maximum of $200 a month. And the Georgia site represents just a fraction of the 400,000 locations of sites AT&T plans to by the end of 2017.

That said, AT&T is making slow but steady progress. It will expand coverage to rural parts of Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin this year. And it plans to expand coverage to 1.1 million locations by 2020.

“Access to the internet is an important tool for advancing opportunities in communities. It creates economic growth, helps increase community engagement, and makes education accessible,” Eric Boyer, senior vice president of AT&T’s wireless and wired product marketing, said in a statement. “We’re committed to utilizing available technologies to connect hard-to-reach locations.”

AT&T is one of 10 carriers that accepted $1.5 billion from the FCC. The agency’s current plan calls for an expansion of broadband connectivity to the nearly 7.3 million consumers in 45 states over a six-year period, building on an earlier effort that used funding to expand broadband to over 637,000 homes and businesses.

Kyle Wiggers
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Kyle Wiggers is a writer, Web designer, and podcaster with an acute interest in all things tech. When not reviewing gadgets…
OnePlus’ pocket rocket incoming after 13T appears in another leak
The OnePlus 13 and OnePlus Watch 3.

OnePlus announced its flagship OnePlus 13 series at the beginning of the year with the OnePlus 13 and the OnePlus 13R both arriving around the same time. There's another model that is set to join the series that keeps popping up in rumours however, and that's the OnePlus 13T.

The Chinese company previously confirmed this week that the device exists and that it will be called the OnePlus 13T, so we know it is coming. OnePlus has also described it at as "small and powerful device" and said it would debut in China later in April. 

Read more
Apple could still move away from physical buttons on iPhone, but not anytime soon
iPhone 16 Pro review

The rumour mill for upcoming smartphones is constantly churning, and that's especially true when it comes to the next Apple and Samsung devices. For years now, there has been speculation that Apple is considering solid state buttons for its iPhones, which would see it move away from physical buttons like the volume rocker and power buttons.

The rumours first appeared ahead of the iPhone 15 Pro in 2023, and when that didn't happen, the rumours moved onto claiming we would see this design change for the iPhone 16 Pro. Of course, it didn't happen then either, and while that's not to say Apple has given up entirely on the idea, it looks like it might be a while before any switch happens.

Read more
A new cheap phone touting major camera performance is on the horizon
CMF by Nothing Phone 2 teaser

April might have one just begun but it's looking like it could shape up to be a very busy month for phones. We've heard plenty of chatter around the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S25 Edge that is expected to launch in the middle of the month and OnePlus is also expected to debut its OnePlus 13T in April too. 

But the latest report suggests Nothing's sub-brand CMF might also have something to bring to the April smartphone party. The company has teased the arrival of a new device on X, and as spotted by MySmartPrice, that device's landing page then appeared on India's commerce site, Flipkart before swiftly being taken down.

Read more